Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A lesson from Peter

In the first epistle of Peter, Peter writes to God's people who are "scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia". It is in chapter 3 where I read a message that spoke great things to me.

The first lesson that we learn, comes in the very first verse. 1 Peter 3:1 reads like this, "Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won over by the conversation of the wives". As Christians, we must strive to continually win over souls to Jesus. To accomplish this, we must put on Christ and be examples of his teachings. We influence others by the way we act, especially if those being influenced know we are Christians. God tells us that even if we cannot win souls over by His word, we can do so by our Christ like behavior.

In verses 8-9, Peter writes, "Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous: Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing." These verses are self explanatory. We should always be compassionate and caring towards one another, even if the other person is doing evil unto you. By offering love and care to the evildoer, you will be presenting yourself as a child of God, and by giving love and care towards the enemy you will in return be given blessings from God.

Many times I write my feelings on scripture because the scripture I am writing about is speaking to me. Sometimes to lift me up and sometimes to remind me of what I should be striving to become. I have a bad work environment and I am constantly being accused of mistakes that I didn't make. I am treated badly and picked on. Going through this everyday becomes frustrating. Many times throughout the day, I become angry with my coworkers. When this happens, I often long for justice, revenge, payback. However, revenge is not ours to give, and it is very important that you and I always remember not to render evil unto evil because it does not help the situation.

2 comments:

  1. That is what we teach too. The number one way to show your faith and let your light shine is to be an example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is. I hope I can be an example through my actions. I am working on it.

    ReplyDelete